Coffee Dotted Chiffon Cake
Vanilla and Coffee Dotted Chiffon Cake
There are some cakes that just remind us of childhood, home, the mother -specially my pastry chef mom- the smell of the oven, and a warm cup of café con leche. This is one of those amazing desserts that brings back the afternoons at home, in the kitchen table, a place where we would all sit, adjacent to the kitchen where we were not supposed to go to.
Memories to be made to last forever with this Vanilla and Coffee Dotted Chiffon Cake.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder 5 eggs, separated
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons freeze-dried or granulated instant coffee
1. Preheat the oven to 350oF.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, place the flour, 1 cup sugar, and the baking powder. Mix with a fork or whisk; make a well in the center and pour in the egg yolks, water, oil, and vanilla and almond extracts. Attach the mixer blades or paddle, and mix at medium-low speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until shiny.
3. In a clean mixer bowl, place the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt, and beat at medium-high speed until frothy, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup sugar slowly, and mix in high speed for 8 minutes, until shiny and thick.
4. Fold the whites into the yolk mixture. Fold in the instant coffee.
5. Pour into an ungreased tube pan or 2 cake pans.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the cake springs back when you touch it and feels sturdy.
6. Remove from the oven and turn onto a rack, top down.
7. Unmold when completely cold or the next day. Scrape the sides with a knife for the tube pan.